Here’s All You Need to Know About Descriptive Essay Writing
Throughout school, you will be assigned different types of essays. You may be required to write a brief descriptive essay or a more complex paper that requires in-depth descriptions. Whichever the case, it is important to understand the basics of essay writing before starting such assignments.
The most important questions you must have answers to are what, why, and how? First, you have to understand what essay you are writing. Descriptive papers often require vivid imagery. Next, you should understand why you are writing this essay and more often than not, you would intend to paint a picture for your reader. Finally, you get to the how. How do you write a quality description essay? Here is how to go about this task.
Get to Know What Is a Descriptive Essay?
A description usually relays a certain image to the reader. You must use your words to help the reader picture what you have in mind. This is not an easy task, as not students are good with words. Thankfully,paper24x7 has essay writers who are good at such type of writing. Furthermore, this guide has all you need to understand what is a descriptive essay. High-quality descriptive writing has the following qualities:
- Includes sensory details that appeal to the reader’s senses. The writer answers at least one of these five questions to appeal to the reader’s senses; What did you see? What did you hear? What did you smell? What did you taste? What did you touch?
- Uses figurative language such as similes and analogies
- Has precise language. Instead of general phrases, adjectives, and nouns, a descriptive essay that is well written will have specific action verbs, relevant adjectives and precise phrases that communicate effectively
- Is organized. The writer will choose to organize the description in order of importance based on time, location, or other relevant factors.
Understand How to Write a Descriptive Essay
The most important aspect of any description is its accuracy. Knowing how to write a descriptive essay is easy when you use this simple procedure.
Brainstorm. It is almost impossible to relay a message you do not fully understand. So, first, you must be familiar with the subject of your essay. What is it you want to describe? How do you want the reader to perceive the subject? Which feelings do you want to evoke in the reader? To organize your thoughts and avoid chaos as you write, sketch a simple chart that categorizes your major and minor in any order you choose.
Next, you have to create a loose outline that you will reinforce late on. This outline should have the points you will make in your introduction, your body paragraphs, and your conclusion. Each section should be separated from the next.
Write your essay. Knowing how to start a descriptive essay is a critical success factor for your writing. Your introduction should be interesting but precise. Give the reader just enough details to elicit some anticipation for what is in the rest of your paper. When writing your essay, ensure you fulfill the reader’s expectation to the best of your ability.
Proofread your essay several times. It is best to ensure you leave behind no grammatical errors as these usually put off many readers. All your efforts will go to waste if you do not countercheck the accuracy of your description. It is advisable to take some time off and reread your essay with a fresh eye so that you do not miss anything.
The Best Descriptive Essay Format
Now that you have understood the process of descriptive writing, you must be wondering which is the best descriptive essay format for you to use. Like any other essay, description essays require that you have an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion. The number of body paragraphs depends on the topic at hand. Some topics may require lengthy descriptions while others do well with a brief description. Regardless of the number of paragraphs, the TEEL structure is recommended for each paragraph.
This is how the TEEL structure works:
- T is for Topic – Each body paragraph must start with a topic sentence. The topic sentence gives the reader a clear idea of what will be described in the paragraph. It can be an opinion or simply a statement that will be proven throughout the rest of the paragraph.
- E is for Explanation – these sentences expand on the topic sentence, giving more details and justifying why the statement is accurate. In the case of description essays, this is your chance to use similes and metaphors to bring out a vivid picture to the reader.
- E is for Evidence – here, you must prove why the reader should believe you. The image you painted must seem realistic. You must be able to use facts and accurate figures to complete the story in a manner that leaves the reader satisfied. By this point, your reader should not have any questions as to whether you mean what you said.
- L is for Link – the last sentences of your paragraph should recap the topic sentence, allowing you to go full circle on your point. You should not repeat the topic sentence word for word. Instead, you should summarize it in a way that completes the picture you have painted.
Top 10 Descriptive Essay Topics to Choose From
Now that you know all there is about writing a description, here are a few descriptive essay topics for you to write about:
- My worst fear
- What I hope to be in the future
- I would like to meet this famous person
- How to get ready for a date
- The day I traveled overseas
- Memories of my first love
- My hometown
- The stranger I remember most
- My favorite snack
- Why I like studying in this cafe
Writing descriptions is not easy. You must use precise wording in an organized manner to ensure that your message comes across well. With such essays, accuracy is very important.
If you are not ready to write such a detailed essay, you should hire a professional to do it. We are a custom writing service that specializes in writing papers for all academic levels. We help students submit quality content promptly. Our types of papers range from the basic essay to more complicated papers that require detailed descriptions. Each of these papers is written from scratch and edited thoroughly to ensure quality. Are you wondering how to write your essay and get a good grade? Hire us to do it for you. Do not hesitate to reach out to us for quality descriptive essay ideas and content.